Small talk conversation starters can be a great way to socialize, break the ice, and make a connection with someone new. Here’s a list of 20 conversation starters that can help get a conversation going:
1. What brings you here today? This is a great place to start that lets the other person talk about why they are there and why they decided to come to the event or conversation.
2. Who have you met? Asking the other person who they have already met can create a shared experience and help to bridge the gap between two people.
3. What’s the best thing that has happened to you this week? People always love to talk about good things that have happened and this can help to create a positive energy between two people.
4. Is there anything exciting going on in your life lately? This question often leads to a fun and interesting conversation.
5. What’s a fun fact about yourself? Everyone loves to share a fun, quirky fact about themselves – and even if a person doesn’t, it can still lead to a great conversation.
6. What do you think about this event? Asking the other person what they think about the event can give both of you something to talk about and hopefully create a shared experience.
7. Do you have any vacation plans? This can be a perfect starting point if both of you are on the same page when it comes to travel.
8. What hobbies do you have? This is a great, broad question that will lead to a riveting conversation.
9. How long have you lived in the area? If someone is new to the area, or even if they’ve lived here for a long time, asking about it gives you a good starting point.
10. Do you have any favorite places to eat in the area? Discussing favorite spots can quickly turn into an interesting conversation.
11. What book are you currently reading? Many people love to discuss books, so this is a great conversation starter.
12. What do you like to do in your spare time? Asking someone what they do in their free time can reveal something interesting you might not have known before.
13. What type of music do you like? This can be a great way to discover new music and help to create a connection between two people.
14. What’s something you’ve been wanting to try lately? Learning about something new a person is interested in can be a fun topic to discuss and learn about.
15. What’s your favorite type of food? Everyone loves to talk about their favorite foods, so this can be a really great conversation starter.
16. Have you seen any good movies lately? Discussing current movies or great movies of the past can create a fun conversation.
17. What kind of volunteer work do you do? Asking this can be a great way to connect if both people are involved in volunteer work.
18. How are you adjusting to the change of season? Discussing the changing seasons, weather, and temperature is a great way to start a conversation.
19. Who have you been spending your time with lately? This can be a great conversation starter if both individuals know the same people.
20. What is something that you have been passionate about lately? Everyone loves to talk about the things they are passionate about, and this can lead to a great conversation.