Introduction: Striking up a conversation with a stranger, or even with a friend, can be difficult. However, coming up with interesting conversation starters can help to break the ice and keep the conversation flowing. Here are 20 ideas to get you started.
1. What brought you to this event? – This is a great question to start off a conversation as it will give you an idea of why the other person is at this particular event.
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go? – This question will give you insight into the other person’s interests and goals, while also piquing their curiosity.
3. What books have you read recently that you would recommend? – Inquiring about books shows your interest in the conversation partner’s personal tastes and reveals things about their personality too.
4. What did you learn today? – Learning is a great and universal topic which can provoke discussions about many different subjects.
5. What have you been doing this week in your free time? – Everyone has a hobby or activity taking up their time, so you can get to know the other person and find out what it is.
6. What do you think about the current news? – Sharing perspectives on the news can create a robust exchange which can give you both a lot of insight.
7. What do you do for a living? – Talking about someone else’s job or career can give you both insight into your different lives.
8. Do you have any pets? – This is a way to connect with the other person, as most people like to talk about their furry friends.
9. What would you do if you had 24 hours to do anything? – This topic lets the other person get creative and share what they would do with a day of free time.
10. What kind of music do you like? – Music helps to break the ice and connects you to the other person quickly.
11. What does your dream day look like? – Painting a picture of a perfect day gives both of you something to aspire to.
12. What are your passions? – This question opens up the conversation to the other person’s deepest interests, which reveals a lot of insight.
13. What is your proudest accomplishment? – This question will give you a better idea of the other person’s personality and aspirations.
14. What is your favorite thing about your job? – For those in the working world, this question is likely to get an enthusiastic response.
15. What is the craziest thing you have done? – This question helps to break the ice by talking about something fun in the other person’s life.
16. What have been some of the biggest changes in your life recently? – This can have a more serious tone, but will give you a better understanding of the other person’s life.
17. What is your favorite food and why? – Everyone has a favorite food and talking about it can instantly spark up a conversation.
18. What extraordinary life experience(s) have you had? – This question can bring to light some great stories, while learning something new about the other person.
19. Who are your role models? – Learning who influences the other person in your life can give you a deeper understanding of them and their story.
20. What do you value most in others? – Discussing what qualities and characteristics we appreciate in others can get to the core of the other person and their values.