Intro: Whether you’re meeting someone for the first time or have been dating for a while, having some conversation starters in your back pocket can help break the ice and make your conversations more natural and enjoyable. Here are 20 conversation starters for dating:
1. What’s the best tip you’ve ever gotten about dating? This question can help you learn something about your date’s values around dating, as well as give you both an opportunity to share funny stories.
2. Where did you grow up? This is a great way to learn about your date’s upbringing, where they spent their most formative years, and what kinds of memories they have from that time.
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? This conversation starter can help you learn about your date’s interests and travel goals, and can also spark some imaginative discussions of different cultures and landscapes.
4. What’s your favorite book? This is an easy way to gain some insight into your date’s tastes and interests.
5. What did you learn in school that you still use today? This is a good question to ask because it allows each of you to reflect on how education has shaped your lives, and then share those stories with each other.
6. What would your perfect day look like? This is a fun, open-ended question that can get each of you revealing what you really love doing in your free time and how you’d spend a day if you could do anything.
7. What did you think of the last show or movie you watched? This question can help you to generate conversation around the latest popular events and can give you hints about what you might be able to watch together in the future.
8. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Asking this question can be a great way to find out about what kinds of things your date finds exciting and inspiring.
9. What hidden talents do you possess? This is a great question to ask as it can reveal your date’s ability to surprise you and can reveal unexpected areas of expertise or impressive abilities.
10. Where do you get your news? News can be a great way to reflect on the current state of affairs, learn more about the world, and identify potential common interests, so this questions can act as a great conversation jumpstarter.
11. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done? This is an interesting question because it can open up mixed, funny, and even embarrassing anecdotes, and can often lead to engaging back-and-forth conversation.
12. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? This question can open up opportunities to talk about enjoyable memories and gratitude, as well as learn more about what your date values most.
13. What’s your favorite cuisine? This is a great way to learn more about your date’s taste in food, and can even lead to getting to try a new type of food or cuisine together.
14. What do you think of online dating? Asking this question can open up discussions about the complexities and potential benefits of online dating, and can help your date open up and share their thoughts on the topic.
15. What do you get excited about? This is a great question to ask as it can reveal your date’s passions and desires, which can open up conversations about exciting topics, hobbies, and ideas.
16. What did you want to be when you were a kid? This is a fun and interesting question to ask, as it can often lead to childhood memories, ambitions, and the stories of why our dreams change as we grow up.
17. What has been the most memorable moment of your life so far? This is a good question to ask as it can open up conversation about some of the best moments of your date’s life, and you can learn more about their most meaningful memories.
18. What’s the weirdest thing you’re currently into? Asking this question can be a great way to get out of the usual topics of conversation and explore the unexpected interests of your date.
19. What’s the last thing you cooked? Not only can this be a great opportunity to share your experience in the kitchen (or lack thereof), but it can also give you both a chance to reflect on the dishes that bring each of you joy.
20. What have you been learning lately? This question can be a great jumping off point for talks about self-development, as well as goals and motivations.