Looking for a special night in the exciting city of Washington, DC? Whether it is your first date or your fifteenth, DC offers a plethora of opportunities for you and your special someone to explore and enjoy. From romantic walks to sports and interactive attractions, here are 20 creative date ideas to help make your next DC date one to remember!
1. Picnic in the Park: Enjoy the warm summer weather with a romantic picnic in one of DC’s many green spaces. Pack a special lunch – perhaps something that is meaningful to the two of you – and don’t forget the wine and chocolates.
2. Take a Food-Themed Tour: Spend an afternoon eating your way through one of DC’s neighborhoods. From Chinatown to Little Ethiopia and beyond, there are dozens of different combinations of food, culture and history to sample.
3. Get Creative with Pottery: DC has plenty of pottery classes and art workshops to get your creative juices flowing. From hand-building to wheel-throwing, it’s a great way to spend the evening and make something special to remember the date.
4. Take a Boat Ride: Charters are available for private dinner cruises around the National Mall for beautiful nighttime sightseeing.
5. Join a Sports Team: Play your favorite sport as a couple or form a team of friends and join a co-ed sport league. DC has leagues for everything from dodgeball to basketball and softball- even curling and axe throwing!
6. Enjoy the Views from the Roof: Take advantage of DC’s many rooftop bars and restaurants for dinner with a view. Watch the sunset over the skyline or the dancing lights of national monuments.
7. Explore Craft Breweries: DC is full of craft breweries and tap rooms. From Georgetown to H Street, sample various craft beers and local micro-brews while enjoying delicious bar-food.
8. Dance the Night Away: Test your dancing skills at a salsa club and watch a professional show afterwards!
9. Enjoy a Weekend Road Trip: Take the opportunity to get out of the city and explore the nearby wineries, rivers, and nature preserves.
10. Enjoy the Great Outdoors: DC has plenty of outdoor activities, from biking the C&O Canal Path to paddle boarding along the Potomac River.
11. Play Mini-Golf: Play your way through one of DC’s mini-golf courses. Putt around historical monuments, cartoon characters, and space craft.
12. Tour a Museum: Art and history buffs will appreciate the diverse range of museums in the DC area. Explore acclaimed institutions or opt for a smaller, more niche museum to explore the city’s culture.
13. Sample Global Cuisine: With the rich culture and ethnic diversity of the DC area, it is not hard to find a variety of global foodstuffs. From Ethiopian to Armenian, explore an array of flavors on your next night out.
14. Visit a Movie Theater: Catch a movie and scope out the snacks at one of DC’s many independent film theaters.
15. Attend a Music Performance: DC has thriving music scenes. Catch an emerging artist’s show or see a well-known performer.
16. Enjoy a Painting Night: Spend the evening with a canvas and a bottle of wine. Draw inspiration for your own artwork or make a collaborative masterpiece.
17. Find a Comedy Show: DC is full of comedy clubs. Catch up on current events and laugh the night away with a headline act or open mic night.
18. Have a Duel: Take an afternoon to channel your inner Alexander Hamilton with a dueling lesson – a lesson in safety (and fun!)
19. Explore the Nightlife: Wine and dine in the city with an evening of cocktails and conversation in one of DC’s many chic bars and lounges.
20. Take a Cooking Class: With a variety of cooking classes offered throughout the city, take an evening to learn how to recreate a favorite dish together.