Introduction: Meeting new people and wanting to get to know them better could be intimidating and exhausting. To break the ice and help get the conversation flowing, here are 20 different conversation starters you could use with new friends.
1. What made you smile today? – This question is great for starting an uplifting and cheerful conversation. It may just start a chain reaction of fun and pleasant topics to talk about.
2. What projects have you been up to lately? – Asking about a person’s recent projects or work is a great way to get to know them better and learn more about their interests and what they’ve been doing lately.
3. What’s something you’re looking forward to? – This question can help uncover what’s important or exciting to the other person. It could lead to some fun and meaningful conversation.
4. What’s something that’s inspiring to you? – This question can help you understand what motivates, encourages or inspires the other person and why they do the thing they do.
5. What hobby or activity do you enjoy? – Everyone has something they enjoy doing so asking about their favorite hobby or activity can be a great way to get to know them better and understand their interests.
6. What do you like about the place you live? – This is a great way to explore the area, understand what the person values about the place they live, and explore their likes and dislikes about it.
7. If you could go anywhere for a weekend, where would you go? – This is a great question to ask someone to find out more about the places they would like to visit, and could open up the possibility of planning a trip together.
8. What did you learn in the last month? – To understand someone’s interests, asking what they’ve learned recently can be quite revealing.
9. If you could have a superpower, what would it be? – This is a totally fun and interesting conversation starter, and an easy way to get the conversation rollicking along.
10. What would you most like to learn? – You can find out what’s important to them and what interests them by asking this question.
11. What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever made? – Everyone loves talking about their creations, so this is a great way to get to know someone better and find out more about their talents.
12. What three words describe you best? – This is a great way to get to know a person better and to reflect on how others might see them.
13. Who inspires you? – People are usually inspired by someone, whether it’s through art, music, or just another human being. Asking this question can help you understand more about what drives and motivates the other person.
14. What are you proud of in the last month? – This can be an empowering question for someone to answer and it’s also a great way to understand what’s important to them.
15. What did you learn in the last year? – By asking this, you’ll get a better picture of who they are and what they value.
16. What book or story do you keep coming back to? – Asking this question can help you understand more about the other person’s passions and aspirations, and can help build connections between you.
17. What do you wish you knew more about? – By asking this question you can explore a person’s interests and uncover some exciting conversations about what they’d like to learn more about.
18. What was the last great thing you did? – This is a fun question to find out more about what they enjoy doing or to see the sense of accomplishment they get from their endeavors.
19. What would you do if you had an extra hour today? – Asking this question can give you an insight into how they spend their time, what they value, and what they would like to do more of.
20. What have you been reading lately? – This is a great conversation starter as most people love talking about books – you’ll get to find out how much they enjoy it, how often they read, and their favorite (and least favorite) books.