Introductory Paragraph: If you’re looking to make sure your conversations are always lively and entertaining, then it’s a good idea to have a few fun conversation starters that you can use to break the ice in any situation. Here are 20 ideas for engaging conversation that will make sure everyone has a good time.
1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? – Being able to ask interesting and thought-provoking questions is a great way to get people engaged in conversation, and this one offers plenty of opportunities for intriguing answers.
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? – This question is perfect for getting people to talk about the places they’ve been and the places they dream of going- leading to fascinating stories and ideas.
3. If you could experience one day in history, which one would it be? – From Ancient Rome to the moon landing, this question opens up the possibilities for a wide-ranging conversation full of fascinating facts.
4. What kind of pet would you have if you could pick any? – This conversational opener encourages people to use their imaginations and talk about all their favourite animals, from the real to the fantastical.
5. What three words would you use to describe yourself? – This conversation starter can help people understand each other better and get to know one another on a deeper level.
6. If you could switch lives with someone else for a day, who would it be? – This question is ideal for uncovering some funny and surprising answers, as people can choose from anyone in history or in the present day.
7. What would you do if you had one million dollars? – Fun conversations ensue when people give their creative answers to this financial hypothetical.
8. If you had a time machine, when would you go to visit? – A question like this can get people thinking out the box and dreaming up their own exciting time-travel stories.
9. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done? – This open-ended prompt allows people to share all the fun memories they’ve made and, who knows, they might even inspire a few more wild and crazy stories in the process.
10. If you could speak any language fluently, which would it be? – People can learn a lot about each other’s backgrounds when discussing this topic- and the answer might even result in some fascinating language lessons.
11. If you could give one piece of advice to teachers, what would it be? – This conversation starter can help people have meaningful conversations about the education system, offering advice and perspectives from different walks of life.
12. What makes something funny to you? – A question like this can get people laughing with personal anecdotes and stories as they discuss their individual senses of humour.
13. What hobby would you like to pick up? – From painting and photography to cooking and gardening, this conversation starter can get people discussing activities they want to do and the challenges they might face in the process.
14. If you could be a character in a movie, which one would you choose? – People can get a real sense of each other’s personalities by learning which movie characters they would most like to be like.
15. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? – This conversational opener can help people show appreciation, relive great memories, and perhaps even surprise each other with some new ideas for gifts.
16. What would you do if you had a week off work? – A ‘days of the week’ style brainstorm can provide plenty of entertaining ideas for activities – from exciting staycations to adventurous global travels.
17. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had? – Talking about food is always an enjoyable conversation topic, and hearty anecdotes can evoke appetite-raising memories.
18. What’s one thing you’ve learned about yourself this year? – This deeper topic can get people thinking about their personal growth, as well as teaching each other valuable lessons based on their own experiences.
19. What book have you read that you would recommend to others? – Conversations can get really interesting as people discuss their favourite books and the lessons they’ve learned from them.
20. If you could ask one question to the entire world, what would it be? – This thought-provoking question can bring up some truly profound answers, and offer people a chance to share their aspirations and reflect on humanity.