Intro: Talking to someone you’ve just met can be intimidating, but these conversation starters will help break the ice, ease any tension, and keep the conversation flowing.
1. “Where are you from originally?” – A casual way to find out a bit more about someone’s background and upbringing.
2. “What brought you to this area?” – A way to simply find out a bit more about their current living and job situation.
3. “What do you do in your free time?” – A good way to learn more about the person’s interests and hobbies.
4. “What kind of music do you like?” – A good conversation starter for when you both share a similar taste in music.
5. “What did you do last weekend?” – A casual, non-intimidating way to find out what someone did for fun.
6. “What would you most like to do right now if you had the time?” – A way to learn more about what the person values and prioritizes in life.
7. “What do you like most about your job?” – A casual way to find out what someone finds rewarding or enjoyable in their job.
8. “What do you think is the most interesting thing about yourself?” – A great way to start a conversation that focuses on the person’s own interests and personality.
9. “Do you have any special talents?” – A lighthearted and fun way to find out more about the person’s hobbies and interests.
10. “If you could have any superpower, what would it be?” – A conversation starter that can be highly entertaining and intriguing.
11. “Have you seen any good movies/tv shows recently?” – A great way to get chatting and learning more about each other while discussing shared interests.
12. “Have you ever been to the beach/ mountains/ other tourist destination?” – A great conversation starter that can lead to many interesting and exciting stories.
13. “What do you think makes a good friend?” – A great way to learn more about the person’s values and what they look for in a friendship.
14. “If you could go anywhere right now, where would it be?” – A great way to find out what places or experiences the person values and wants to have.
15. “Do you have any pets/ Are you a pet person?” – A great way to start a conversation about animals and pet-related topics.
16. “What’s the best book you’ve read recently?” – A great conversation starter to discuss shared interests in literature.
17. “What do you think are the most important qualities for success?” – A deeper conversation starter to learn more about the person’s values and ideas on success.
18. “Do you have any upcoming plans/ travel?” – A great way to find out if the person has any exciting things planned, or to share plans you’ve made.
19. “What do you like most about the city/town you live in?” – A good way to get talking about a person’s hometown and area.
20. “Have you tried any new restaurant or café lately?” – An interesting conversation starter to find out more about the person’s favorite places to eat.