Intro: Starting conversations with middle schoolers can be a daunting task, but these 20 conversation starters can help to break the ice and get the conversation flowing.
1. What animal do you think is the coolest? Explain why. – This is a good conversation starter that can spark lots of discussion on the variety of animals and why they are so cool.
2. What kinds of music do you like? Why? – Music can be an interesting topic to discuss as it can lead to interesting conversations about different genres and why we like the ones we like.
3. What would you do if you had a million dollars? – This question can help to get the creative juices flowing and can spark conversations about dreams and aspirations.
4. What do you think is the most important invention of all time? – This question can prompt conversations about the impact of inventions, both past and present.
5. What would you do if you had an extra hour every day? – This is a great question for sparking conversations about time management and different things someone could do with that extra hour.
6. What superpower would you like to have? – This conversation starter can be fun and interesting, as it allows people to think outside the box and consider what they would do with any superpower they may chose.
7. What classes or activities do you like the most? – This conversation starter could be a great way to get people to discuss the things they enjoy doing or learning the most.
8. If you could switch places with someone for a day, who would it be? – This conversation starter can allow middle schoolers to get creative and think about who they would like to be for a day.
9. If you could time travel, where would you go? – This is a great conversation starter that can get people thinking about history, different time periods, and what it would be like to time travel.
10. What new hobby would you like to try? – This is a great way to get the conversation rolling about different hobbies and interests.
11. What is your favorite holiday and why? – Holidays can be a great way to get people talking about different traditions and activities associated with the holiday and why it is so special to them.
12. What accomplishment are you most proud of? – Asking someone this can be a great way to get people talking about their achievements and why they are so proud of them.
13. If you could pick any vacation spot, where would it be? – Vacations are a great topic of conversation as they can spark ideas of different places near and far that people would love to visit.
14. What would you do if you could explore outer space? – Exploring outer space can be a fascinating concept and a great source of conversation.
15. What type of sports are you most interested in? – Sports can be a great way to get conversations flowing, as everyone has a favorite or a type they are most interested in.
16. What is the last movie you watched and what did you think? – This is a great way to get people talking about different movies and their thoughts on them.
17. What book have you read recently that you would recommend? – This is a great conversation starter about books, ones that you have read and ones that you recommend.
18. What is your favorite type of food? – Food is always a great topic of conversation as everyone has their favorites and they can spark conversations around different types of cuisine and recipes.
19. Do you have a favorite YouTuber or blog? – This is a great conversation starter for middle schoolers as they spend a lot of time on YouTube and blogs, so talking about their favorites can lead to interesting conversations.
20. What is an interesting fact you have learned recently? – This is a great way to spark conversations about interesting facts, ones that people have learned as well as ones that they have heard from others.