Introduction: Talking to someone for the first time can be a nerve-wracking experience. To make the process easier, use these conversation starters as a way to break the ice and get to know someone better.
1. What brings you here today? – This open-ended question can give you an idea of why this person is here.
2. Tell me about yourself – This is a classic conversation starter that allows the person you’re talking to tell you more about themselves.
3. What have you been up to lately? – This allows the other person to give you a more detailed update on their activities than the more general conversation starter of “how are you?”
4. What’s the most interesting thing that’s happened to you this week? – This will let you know what unique experiences the other person has had recently.
5. What do you like to do for fun? – You’ll get an understanding of what activities this person enjoys.
6. What is one of your favorite books or movies? – This is a good question to understand the kind of media the other person enjoys.
7. What kinds of hobbies do you pursue? – Knowing the kinds of activities that interest this person can indicate other areas of conversation to explore.
8. What do you think has been the most important thing you’ve learned this year? – This allows the other person to get philosophical and share some important realizations.
9. What would be your ideal way to spend the day? – This will give you an insight into what the other person would choose to do if they had a completely free day.
10. What is something you are really proud of achieving? – Everyone has accomplishments they’re proud of and thisquestion is a great way to hear about the good things in this person’s life.
11. What’s on your bucket list? – This question can reveal the dreams and goals of the other person.
12. Are there any projects or initiatives that you’re excited about or working on? – This allows the other person to tell you about cool things they’re involved in.
13. Do you have any upcoming personal trips/vacations that you’re looking forward to? – This conversation starter will give you an idea of what adventures the person is planning.
14. What did you want to be when you were growing up? – It can be fun to compare any similarities or differences in the dreams of the past with what the person is doing now.
15. What kind of music do you like to listen to? – Questions like this can be a fun way to explore what type of music the other person enjoys.
16. Are there any concepts/ trends in your field that you’re interested in? – This question allows the person to share any recent discoveries or innovations within the topics that interest them.
17. What do you feel is important to be successful? – This is a great icebreaker to start a deeper conversation about ambition and achievement.
18. Are there any upcoming events or activities that you’re looking forward to? – This conversations starter makes it easy for the other person to tell you about things that are coming up for them.
19. What do you enjoy do you most on the weekends? – This conversation starter will give you an idea of what the person likes to do to relax and unwind.
20. Do you have any interesting stories or anecdotes to share? – Sharing stories is an easy and effective way to get to know someone better and have a great conversation.