Starting conversations can be especially difficult for autistic students. To help them better engage with their peers and faculty, here are a few conversation starters that could help.
1. What do you think about the latest movie/book? – Asking about movies and books is a great conversation starter that can help spark a conversation about favorite characters and plot points.
2. What do you do in your free time? – Autistic students enjoy having activities that bring them joy and pleasure, so talking about hobbies and past-times can be a great way to bond.
3. What are some of your favorite sports teams? – Sports can be a great bonding experience, especially if the other person is a fan of the same team.
4. What type of music do you like? – Music is another great way to bond with other people, so asking what type of music someone enjoys can lead to some interesting conversations.
5. Have you seen any good TV shows recently? – Asking about TV shows can lead to discussions about the latest twists and characters and can bring people together.
6. What are your thoughts on the current political situation? – Although the conversations can get a bit heated, talking about current political topics can be a great way to share opinions and morality.
7. How do you think technology has changed our lives? – Technology is everywhere and deep conversations can be had when discussing its implications, both positive and negative.
8. Who are some of your favorite historical figures or figures in your field? – Knowing who inspires people and why can offer insight into values, desires and goals.
9. What do you think about current trends? – Trends are always coming and going but knowing how people feel about them can lead to interesting conversations.
10. Have you read any interesting articles recently? – If someone has recently read an interesting article, discussing what it was about can lead to more meaningful conversations.
11. What type of games do you enjoy playing? – Games bring people together and talking about what type of games someone enjoys can lead to some exciting conversations.
12. Are there any recent scientific discoveries that have surprised you? – Science is always changing and discussing recent breakthroughs can get some fascinating conversations going.
13. What have been some of your most memorable trips or vacations? – Sharing experiences is always a great way to build rapport as well as empathy and talking about past trips or vacations can help with that
14. What do you think of the current state of the world? – Knowing how someone feels about the current state of the world can be a great way to understand the perspectives and beliefs of others.
15. Is there any cause that you feel particularly passionate about? – Knowing what causes someone feels strongly about can bring up some inspiring conversations while also teaching more about that individual.
16. What do you think of the latest fashion trends? – Talking about fashion trends can be fun as well as revealing about what someone values and is interested in.
17. What did you learn in school today? – School is a great place for conversation and discussing what one learned in the day can help keep the conversation going.
18. What has been your greatest accomplishment in the past month? – Everyone has achieved something noteworthy in the past month, so talking about it can not only spark more conversations but also show off the great accomplishments of people.
19. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? – Discussing someone’s dream destination can be fun as well as inspiring and can help build a strong connection.
20. Who are some of your favorite artists or influencers? – Knowing who someone looks up to can be a great way to build respect and admiration between the two of them.