Introduction: Conversation starters for Autistic Adults can be a great way to help promote meaningful and engaging conversation when meeting someone for the first time. They can also be helpful for talking about potentially awkward topics, or when trying to start a new activity or discussion. Here are 20 ideas to get the conversation rolling:
1. What’s something that you’re passionate about? – This is a great question to get to know someone’s interests, hobbies, and thoughts. It can also lead to further discussion about topics that they’re interested in.
2. What have you been up to lately? – This is a great way to get to know what someone has been doing in their free time and can be a great way to start a general discussion.
3. Do you have any upcoming plans? – This one is great for seeing what kind of things someone is looking forward to or excited about.
4. What do you do for fun? – This one is great for getting to know someone’s likes and interests, and it can lead to further conversation about all sorts of things.
5. What has been your most meaningful experience? – An excellent conversation starter, this question helps get people to open up and share something meaningful to them.
6. Have any new and exciting things happened since we last talked? – Asking for updates on people’s lives is a great way to stay connected and show interest in what’s going on in their lives.
7. What is something you’ve recently learned? – This helps to build a bridge between what someone is doing in their life and what they’re learning or discovering.
8. What have you been reading lately? – This one is great for uncovering someone’s interests and getting them to share their thoughts on books they’ve been reading.
9. What tips would you share with someone starting out in a new hobby? – This is great for helping someone open up to talking about something they’re passionate about, and can also be very practical.
10. What are some of your favorite movies? – Another good conversation starter, asking about someone’s favorite movies can help to build a deeper connection and give insight into their interests.
11. What are your thoughts on the latest news headlines? – This conversation starter helps to elicit opinions and gauge where someone stands on current events or hot topics.
12. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go? – This can be a great way to get someone to open up about their dreams and aspirations.
13. What has been your proudest accomplishment? – A great way to boost someone’s self-esteem, this question can help to spark a meaningful discussion and get someone to open up.
14. What’s your favorite part about living where you do? – This is a great way to connect on a more personal level and learn more about someone’s life.
15. What do you think is the most interesting thing about you? – This is a great way to get someone to share more about themselves in an empowering way.
16. What do you think makes a great leader? –This question helps to get someone to think about the traits that make a great leader, which can then be used in the conversation.
17. What would you say is the best advice you’ve ever received? – A great way to learn more about someone, this question can lead to an interesting discussion about what makes the best advice.
18. What do you think of the current state of the world? – Great for getting people to share their thoughts and feelings on current events, this can help to spark a meaningful conversation.
19. How do you define success? – A great way to get to know someone on a deeper level. Answering this question can help to open up a conversation about someone’s values and beliefs.
20. What type of music do you listen to and why? – Knowing someone’s music taste can be a great way to get to know them better, and it can give insight into their likes and interests.