Introducing conversation starters at work can help employees break the ice, build relationships and create an open and welcoming atmosphere in the workplace. Here are 20 ideas you can use for conversation starters at work:
1.What do you like about working here? – Get to know your colleagues better by asking them what they enjoy most about their job and working in the company.
2. What small thing makes you smile today? – Start the conversation with an uplifting topic and get everyone in a positive mood.
3. What is the best experience you ever had? – Ask your colleagues about their favorite memories, it’s a great way to learn something new about them.
4. What was the last book you read? – Expand your colleagues’ horizons by making suggestions for books they can read.
5. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? – Talk about different destinations and experiences, while also connecting with each other on a personal level.
6. What did you do this weekend? – Find out what your colleagues have been up to, and share stories about your own weekend activities.
7. Tell me a funny joke – Lighten up the mood with a joke or two and put a smile on everyone’s face.
8. What are you looking forward to this month? – Get your colleagues excited about upcoming events, projects and other activities.
9. What was your favorite TV show growing up? – Reminisce about childhood favorites and share some of your favorite shows with each other.
10. How did you get into your current field? – Discover more about your colleagues’ career paths and how they got to their current positions.
11. What advice would you give to someone starting out in your field? – Share advice and tips with those who are interested in joining the same field.
12. What’s the most interesting thing about where you came from? – Connect with each other on a cultural level by learning more about each other’s backgrounds.
13. What’s the best thing that happened to you last week? – Emphasise the positive and encourage everyone to look back on their last week with an optimistic outlook.
14. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done? – A refreshingly lighthearted conversation about some of the weirder experiences we’ve had.
15. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Swap inspiring quotes and words of wisdom with each other and give each other valuable advice.
16. What is your dream job? – Find out what type of career paths your colleagues would prefer to take and brainstorm ways they could achieve their goals.
17. What kind of music do you listen to? – Discuss different types of music and make suggestions for others to try out.
18. What are you working on right now? – Catch up on any current projects and share ideas on how your departments can collaborate.
19. What hobbies do you have? – Dig into your colleagues’ personal interests and gain a better understanding of their feelings and personality.
20. What do you do to relax after work? – Uncover ways everyone in the workplace likes to wind down after a long day, and discover new methods for de-stressing.