Introduction: Engaging in meaningful conversations with adults can be difficult, especially when trying to get the conversation rolling. Here are 20 conversation starters to ease the tension and get things going.
1. What are you most passionate about in life? – This is a great conversation starter since it allows the other person to tell you what’s most important to them, which will give you a great insight into them.
2. What was your favorite childhood memory? – Asking about one’s childhood memories is a great way to bond and bring out stories that can evoke laughter and fond memories.
3. If you could travel anywhere, real or imaginary, where would it be and why? – This question can spark a creative answer, as it prompts people to explore places beyond the physical world.
4. What accomplishment are you most proud of? – Asking this question shows your interest in the individual and can lead to genuine feelings of accomplishment and pride.
5. What would you want your legacy to be? – This question can help uncover what a person values and views as success, beyond their accomplishments.
6. What are your favorite books/authors/films? – This is a great conversation topic to discuss personal preferences, to learn more about a person, and possibly find common ground.
7. What would you do if you had an extra hour each day? – A conversation around this can be interesting, and it may even give the person new ideas on how to prioritize their time.
8. What would you do if you won the lottery? – This prompts people to think big and dream of what they could do with some extra money.
9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Asking this helps you to understand what this person has learned over the years and how it may have impacted their life.
10. What’s the most difficult decision you’ve ever had to make? – Hearing someone’s difficult decision and how they came to it can open doors to other topics.
11. What makes you laugh the most? – A positive question to get people to laugh and enjoy the moment.
12. What was the last thing that inspired you? – It’s always interesting to hear what really moves people.
13. What habit do you think has most positively influenced your life? – Asking this question can be encouraging and can even help the other person become more aware and intentional of their habits.
14. What hobby do you enjoy most? – Letting the person open up about something they enjoy can be a great conversation starter, plus you both may discover a new hobby.
15. What’s something you’ve been wanting to try? – This is a great conversation starter to get people thinking and talking about new possibilities and adventures.
16. What have you found to be the biggest surprise about growing older? – This can be a great topic for more mature adults to share, with each reflecting on the changes in their lives.
17. What are you most looking forward to in the next year? – Asking this question allows individuals to share their hopes and expectations for the future.
18. Name three things you would bring to a deserted island – This makes sense to ask adults since they have experienced more, but you can also get some interesting ideas from their answers.
19. What would you do if you didn’t have to worry about money? – This prompts people to share hopes and dreams that may have been pushed aside for financial reasons.
20. What do you think will be the best and worst thing about being your age in 10 years? – This is an interesting question that can reveal how the person views aging and what they think of the years ahead.