Introduction: Christmas dinner is a time for loved ones to come together, enjoy food and be merry. To ensure meaningful and enjoyable conversations at the dinner table, here are 20 conversation starters that can help break the ice and get conversations flowing.
1. What is the best Christmas gift you have ever received? – Conversation starter ideas like this turn a typical dinner into a more meaningful and memorable experience by prompting the dinner guests to share their fondest memories with the group.
2. Have you ever dressed up in a Christmas-themed costume? – Light-hearted questions like this prompt guests to laugh and reminisce about any previous comical experiences they had related to the Christmas season.
3. What do you love most about the holiday season? – This question gives all dinner guests a platform to share their favorite aspects of the Christmas season.
4. What do you wish for this upcoming year? – Questions like this help dinner conversations become more meaningful as guests get a chance to share their hopes and dreams for the upcoming year.
5. What is your favorite Christmas movie? –Popular Christmas movies are a sure-fire way to get dinner guests to join in the conversation and share which particular film holds a special place in their hearts.
6. What traditions do your family have for the Christmas period? – Interesting conversations can arise from questions that encourage guests to share the unique traditions that are special to their family.
7. What is your favorite Christmas carol? – Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Away In A Manger, Silent Night and All I Want For Christmas Is You are often a classic reprise during the Christmas period. Sharing their favorite carol helps guests bond over musical nostalgia.
8. What was one of your more memorable Christmas experiences? – Fond memories related to Christmas can often give dinner conversations a personal and authentic edge as guests share their stories of joy, happiness and merriment.
9. What was one of the most unusual Christmas presents you have ever received? –Particularly interesting conversations can begin when dinner guests share the most peculiar gifts they have ever received or given away.
10. What do you think about the technology used for playing Christmas music? – This question opens up the conversation for dinner guests to share their knowledge and opinions about the various technologies that are used to play Christmas music.
11. What is one thing you would like to do differently during the holidays next year? – This question prompts guests to share their dreams and desires while reflecting upon what actions they will take in the coming year to make a change.
12. What special items do you usually prepare for a Christmas dinner? –A great way to encourage deeper conversation is to start discussions about the unique dishes guests bring along for the Christmas meal.
13. How does your family decorate for Christmas? – Getting guests to share their usual methods for decorating the home for the holidays will heat up any dinner party.
14. Do you have a specific Christmas that you look forward to each year? –Often, anticipating a certain event during the festive period helps fuel conversations as guests share their favorite activities to do during this special time.
15. What are your favorite ingredients to include in Christmas dishes? – Ideas for Christmas dishes might spark meaningful conversations as guests discuss their favorite food combinations.
16. What do you think makes Christmas special? –Conversations that tap into the deep connections between a person’s feelings and meanings around the Christmas period give greater insight into a person’s character.
17. What Christmas traditions do you think should stay around? – Christmas is known for its many special traditions and customs. Dinner guests can exchange their opinions on which traditions they feel should continue throughout the years.
18. What do you think is the best way to have a festive Christmas? –This question sparks a variety of different opinions on Christmas “must-dos” as guests discuss their favored activitiespreferred activities during the holiday period.
19. What is the best and worst present you have ever been given? – Between laughter and nostalgia, this question helps create an enjoyable holiday atmosphere at the dinner party.
20. What do you think is the true message of Christmas? –Discussions on the deeper meanings of Christmas, such as peace and love, enable dinner guests to discuss the celebration from a wider and more meaningful perspective.