1. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall (2009): This best-selling book tells the inspiring story of the hidden tribe of Mexico’s Tarahumara Indians and their superhuman ability for long-distance running. It explores the fascinating world of ultra running and the science behind endurance and performance.
2. Running the Edge: Discover the Secrets to Better Running and a Better Life by Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano (2009): This inspiring book aims to help runners of all levels discover their potential for excellence and to lead a life full of passion and purpose. It offers practical advice and tips for running, nutrition, and mental training.
3. Unbreakable: A Runner’s Guide to Building Strength, Resilience and Courage by Kara Goucher and Matthew L. Miller (2018): This book offers an honest, inspiring look at the highs and lows of an elite runner’s journey. It provides an in-depth look into the world of ultra running, as well as practical advice on how to build mental strength and resilience.
4. Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner’s Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America by Marshall Ulrich (2012): This gripping memoir follows ultrarunner Marshall Ulrich as he attempts to break the record for running the entire length of the United States. It is an inspiring story of passion, determination, and the power of the human spirit.
5. Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll (2012): This New York Times bestselling memoir chronicles Rich Roll’s remarkable journey from middle-aged couch potato to ultra runner. It is an inspiring story of transformation and self-discovery.