1. Tales of the South Pacific (1947): This Pulitzer Prize-winning novel tells the story of the American presence in the South Pacific during World War II, as seen through the eyes of a young naval officer. It is a vivid account of the Pacific theatre of war and the lives of the men and women who lived and fought there.
2. Hawaii (1959): This sweeping epic follows the history of Hawaii from its Polynesian settlers, through the arrival of the missionaries and the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy, to its eventual statehood. It is an unforgettable tale of a land and its people.
3. Centennial (1974): This sweeping saga follows the history of a small Eastern Colorado town and its inhabitants from prehistory to the present day. It is a vivid and detailed account of the development of the American West, and the people who made it their home.
4. Chesapeake (1978): This stirring novel follows the story of three generations of a family living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It is a captivating tale of adventure, romance, and family, and of the struggles and triumphs of the Chesapeake Bay.
5. The Covenant (1980): This stirring novel tells the story of a Jewish family in South Africa during the tumultuous years of apartheid. It is a powerful account of courage and hope in the face of adversity.