George R. R. Martin is an American novelist and short story writer, best known for his epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. The series, published between 1996 and 2011, comprises five books and seven planned novels.
1. A Game of Thrones (1996): The first novel in the series, A Game of Thrones tells the story of the noble families of Westeros and their struggles for power. The novel introduces the main characters and sets the stage for the rest of the series.
2. A Clash of Kings (1998): In the second novel, A Clash of Kings, the War of the Five Kings has begun. The novel follows the struggle between the rival claimants to the Iron Throne and the expansion of the kingdom of Daenerys Targaryen.
3. A Storm of Swords (2000): In the third novel, A Storm of Swords, the War of the Five Kings has reached its climax. The novel follows the events of the war and the rise of Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons.
4. A Feast for Crows (2005): The fourth novel in the series, A Feast for Crows, follows the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings and the struggle for power in the Seven Kingdoms.
5. A Dance with Dragons (2011): In the fifth novel, A Dance with Dragons, Daenerys Targaryen is on her way to Westeros to reclaim the Iron Throne. The novel follows the events of her journey and the machinations of the court at King’s Landing.