We can all have moments when we get a little tongue-tied and unable to find the right words to say. The easiest way to start a conversation at a speed dating event if you ever get stuck for ideas is to simply use some of these questions to help you get things moving and before you know it the conversation will flow again, and you will soon find yourself talking just like old friends you have known for years.
Our speed dating questions list is one of the largest collections of speed dating questions anywhere – all of which can help you get to know the person you are talking to, as well as determine if you want to meet them again.
What is speed dating and how does it work?
It is the perfect way to meet new people in a fun, safe environment for those who live busy lives, don’t have much spare time or want to meet new people in a fun, safe environment. The majority of people who attend speed dating events are professionals who want to improve their chances of meeting the right person. In general, these are normal, attractive people with a broad range of interests who usually mix with the same group of friends and colleagues and have few opportunities to meet many new people all at once.
In Speed Dating, you have the opportunity to meet like-minded singles who live nearby and are looking to meet someone new on the same night.
The purpose of speed dating is to provide you with the opportunity to meet and date a large number of singles your age, who are serious about wanting to find a partner. There is no guarantee that you will be dating each person for more than three or four minutes, but at least you will have a chance to decide if you want to continue to see them.
It turns out that four minutes per date is just the right amount of time. When you give your date four minutes, it is short enough for them to want more in case they are interested, but four minutes is not too long in case they do not seem to be interested.
If you give yourself four minutes, you have enough time to decide whether you are willing to spend more time following up with emails or phone calls to secure a real date. As a result, you can also meet 15-20 people in one night without getting completely exhausted since each date lasts for four minutes.
The singles present on the night of the speed dating event will all be single and everyone is there to meet other people. As part of a speed dating evening, you will be able to chat with each person for just a few minutes to decide if you would like to meet them again, and only people you want to meet who also want to meet you again will be able to contact you.
In order to participate in a Speed Dating event, you must check in and receive a personalised badge with a number upon arrival. The hotel will give you the opportunity to relax, have a drink at the bar, and make yourself comfortable.
Usually, when you arrive at a party the host will give you a short welcome speech to let you know what to expect. During the dating portion of the evening, those with badge number one will sit at table number one, those with badge number two will sit at table number two, and so on. The hosts will have a bell or a whistle ring after a few minutes, and all the girls will stay seated, while all the guys move round one table. There will be a half-time break in between, and the process will continue until all the participants have been met.
It is likely that you will like a number of people you meet during a speed dating event. The only problem is that you will have to choose who you would like to see again.
In the aftermath of the Speed Dating event,
If you would like to meet the same people again after the event, sign on to the website and select the people you wish to see again.
As soon as you enter your choices, you will automatically receive an email and/or a text message if someone matches with you, containing their contact information. By using the website, you will also be able to see how many people have entered their choices, how many have ticked you and who has matched with you. There is a good chance that you will be pleasantly surprised to see how many matches you will receive.
Approximately a third of the attendees come on their own on a typical night, and most other people who arrive on their own will also be happy to have you chat with them.
In general, a sporting event lasts just over two hours, including a twenty minute break at half-time.
As a general rule of thumb, it is recommended to dress ‘Smart Casual’, which means to wear something you feel comfortable in – jeans and a smart top are fine – but don’t forget that first impressions matter. This is not a fashion show, but rather a place where you should be yourself.
Getting to know your date better
• What are some of your favorite hobbies?
What is your original place of origin?
• What are the things that make you happy?
Is there anybody in your family that you are related to?
What is the distance between you and your family?
Are you of the opinion that your childhood was happier than most people’s?
• What are your feelings about the relationship between you and your mother?
• If you had the power to change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
• Do you prefer living in the city or the country?
• What has been the largest city you have ever been to?
• If your best friend were to describe you, how would he/she describe you?
Do you have a dream job? If so, what would it be?
In the past, what was your favorite job? What are your hopes for the future?
• What is your greatest passion in life?
What would you consider your best attribute to be?
What would you make if you had friends over for supper? What would you cook?
Would you like to share your favorite wine with me?
• In your life, who has been the biggest inspiration for you?
In terms of what you look for in a person, what are the most important characteristics you look for?
What is your favorite season of the year? If you had to choose, what would it be?
• What do you consider to be the most interesting thing about you?
• Do you prefer the morning or the evening?
Why do you feel sad? What makes you feel sad?
Would you say that you are always, sometimes, or never on time?
• What are the words your colleagues would use to describe you?
Do you think your friends would describe you in the best possible way?
Could you tell me what you would be doing if you were not here tonight?
Would you mind telling me about the craziest thing you have ever done?
• What brought you here tonight? Why are you here?
• How would you describe your type?
• What are some of the things that make you angry?
Do you have a favorite cocktail? If so, what is it?
Are there any phobias you have? If so, what are they?
• How did you spend your best weekend this year?
Are you aware of any nicknames you had at school?
Would you mind sharing with me a little bit about your tattoos?
What is the name of the city in which you were born?
Are you a Sagittarius, Pisces, or Capricorn?
• Would you consider yourself to be a spender or a saver?
Is there any piercing on your body?
Do you have any experience of being mentioned in a newspaper?
• Have you ever stayed up all night talking to someone you care about?
Can you tell me whether you prefer sweet or salty foods?
• What is the most proudest thing you have achieved in your life?
• When was the last time that you cried in front of someone else?
• How important is religion to you?
How would you describe your favourite dish to prepare?
• Would you like to visit anywhere in the world if you had the chance?
In your opinion, what is the one thing no one knows about you?
• Do you have a keen interest in politics?
If you had to choose one thing you miss about being a child, what would it be?
Are you a neat person, a messy person, or are you somewhere in between?
Do you have a favorite thing to do on a Saturday night? If so, what is it?
• If you could choose one thing to do on a Sunday morning, what would it be?
How would you describe your most treasured possession?
What is your average frequency of checking your e-mail?
• What is the one thing you feel most grateful for in your life?
• What is the most important quality you look for in a friendship?
Are there any things that make you laugh?
Do you have a pet peeve of any kind?
Can you tell me about the best year of your life?
Have you been good with your money or have you been frivolous with it?
• On your last birthday, where did you spend your time?
What did you do on New Year’s Eve last year? Where did you go?
Do you have a favorite takeaway meal that you like to eat?
What was the location of your schooling?
How do you usually start your day? What do you normally eat for breakfast?
During your childhood, what was your favorite television program?
• Do you sleep light or do you sleep heavy?
Has anyone ever asked you if you have ever appeared on television?
• Would you describe yourself as introverted or extroverted
Which of the four elements do you identify with the most? Is it earth, wind, fire, or water?
• Do you have a preference for early risers or night owls?
Would you like to know what your birthstone is?
How to find out about your date’s hobbies and interests
What do you like to do in your spare time?
How was your weekend? What did you do?
What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
• What’s your favorite kind of food?
I would like to know what was the last CD you bought or the last music track you downloaded?
• What is your favorite country that you have ever visited?
• What is your favorite TV show to watch?
Would you consider yourself to be a good cook?
Do you prefer to take a walk in the countryside or do you prefer to sit in front of the television and relax?
• What is the period in history that most interests you?
Is there a particular type of movie that you enjoy watching?
• What kind of sports do you enjoy watching or following?
Do you have a favorite hobby? If so, what is it?
• Do you enjoy gambling in any way?
Do you have a favorite film? If so, what is it?
• Which of the following actors or actresses is your favorite?
How would you rate each of the following movie genres: comedy, thriller, action, etc.
Would you mind telling me when you last watched a film?
What is your favorite television program? Can you tell me about it?
Would you be able to play an instrument if you were able to?
• What are some of the types of books you enjoy reading?
• Have you recently bought a book? If so, what was it?
• Can you tell me what book you are reading at the moment?
What is your favorite pastime? Do you enjoy going shopping?
Is your pet an important part of your life?
Can you tell me how many email addresses you have?
Is it possible for you to change a tyre?
• Are you into dancing? If so, what kind of music do you like?
What is your favorite restaurant? If you have a favourite restaurant, what is it?
• Would you rather go on a beach holiday or go on a winter holiday?
• Are you interested in outdoor activities?
Is it more fun to explore the island or to laze on the beach?
What is your favourite sporting hero? Who do you admire most?
Would you mind telling me a little bit about your favorite book?
Are you familiar with bungee jumping? Have you ever done one?
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
• Do you prefer to spend most of your time outside or inside?
Is it a pleasure for you to visit museums?
Has anyone ever asked you if you have been travelling before? Would you mind telling me where you have been?
Would you consider yourself to be an animal lover?
If you had to choose between trekking across a desert and climbing a mountain, which would you choose?
• Is astrology something you believe in?
• Is it better to do it yourself or call an expert?
• How often do you go to the gym?
Is skiing one of your favorite hobbies?
• Would you rather have an active holiday, or would you rather have a relaxing holiday?
• Have you ever been to the best concert you have ever attended?
Fun Speed Dating Questions
Would you like to become famous one day?
• If you had to live on a desert island, what would you take with you?
• Who would you want to be for a day, if you could be someone else?
Which person, dead or alive, would you invite to dinner, if you were able to invite anyone?
What would you do if I gave you £50,000 right now for you to have an adventure? Where would you go?
• Where would be your ideal destination for a holiday?
• What is the most reckless thing that you have ever done?
Is there anything on your bucket list that you are looking forward to?
What would you do if you were to be a performer in a circus?
If you could have sex with any celebrity, who would it be?
• Is road rage a problem for you?
Which job would you love to do if you could do it anywhere in the world?
If you were to rate yourself on a scale of 1-10, how attractive would you say you are?
What are your thoughts about singing in the shower? Do you like it?
In terms of decorating, how would you describe your style?
What would you do if you were given the opportunity to go on an adventure anywhere in the world?
• If you were to choose one colour to describe yourself, what would it be?
In the past month, what do you think is the funniest thing you came across?
Would you like to pretend for a day to be someone else? If you could, who would it be?
Could you imagine who would play you in a film about your life if it were made?
Would you like to write about your life in an autobiography? What would the title be?
• When you were a child, who was your hero?
• Do you have a hero of your own today?
In your opinion, what is the one job in the world that you would love to have?
Can you tell me about the song that best sums up who you are?
• Is there anything that is too serious to joke about, if at all?
• A fire breaks out in your home. The last thing you need to do is save just one item after you have saved your loved ones and pets. Which item should you save?
How old were you when you first had a crush on someone?
Is it something you would do if you were given the choice to decide the sex of your child?
• Do you believe in the concept of love at first sight?
If you had the choice to choose between being rich or having true love, which would you choose?
I would like to ask you, if you were an animal in the wild, what would you be?
What is your favorite month of the year and why is that so?
• What would you change if you had the chance to travel back in time?
Which would be the slogan you would use if you were to advertise yourself on a billboard?
• If you had the opportunity to make three wishes, what would they be?
• If money was not a concern, what kind of car would you choose?
• If you were to choose one word, what would it be?
If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you most want to have with you?
What would you do if you won the lottery? What would you do if you won the lottery?
Are you familiar with Google? Have you ever done a search on your own?
Which is the most crazy, reckless thing that you have ever done?
In the event that you had to move to a foreign city for one year, where would you choose to live?
• Would you be willing to run with the bulls at Pamplona?
When you’re in a karaoke bar, which song would you like to sing?
Do you think you would be willing to endure horrible nightmares for a year in order to be rewarded with extraordinary wealth?
• Where would you like to live if you could live anywhere in the world?
• What would be your choice of crime, if you could commit one without being caught?
• Would you mind telling me a secret?
• What was your first impression of the opposite sex? What was it like for you?
• Do you know of any chat up lines that are the worst in the world?
How would your friends describe you in one word, if they were to describe you in one word?
Are you claiming any fame for yourself? If so, how do you go about proving it?
In your opinion, who is your favorite person on the planet?
Are you more interested in knowing your future or changing your past?
What is the one food that you have eaten too much of in your life?
What three famous people would you like to invite to dinner if you were invited to invite them?
If you could have been born in a different time in history, what time in history would you have preferred?
• What is something that you’ve always wanted to do, but never got around to doing?
The following are some questions you should ask yourself when choosing a co-star for a movie you would like to star in.
• What is one of the most adventurous things you have ever done?
The title of your biography would be: What would be the title of your biography?
• If you had the chance to step into the shoes of any personality, which one would you choose?
In your opinion, who is your favorite actor/actress/celebrity?
In the event that you could have any kind of pet, what would it be?
Would you consider yourself to be a believer in miracles?
How would you describe your best chat up line?
Would you like to take a perfect vacation? What would it look like?
What would you change if you had the power to rule the world?
• Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting a famous person?
Are you more concerned about being wealthy or healthy?
How do you describe the cheesiest chat up line you have heard?
Do you have a favorite joke that you like to tell?
When did you have your first kiss? How old were you at the time?
• How would you describe the perfect day for you?
Would you like to tell me about one thing about yourself that I should know about you?
• Which animal would you be compared with if your friends compared you to it?
Would you mind telling me what one quality or ability you would like to have had by the time you wake up tomorrow?
• Do you have any party tricks to share with us?
Do you like to be tickled?
What would you do first if you knew you had six months to live?
Could you please let me know what you would spend £1,000 on if you were given it tomorrow?
Which of the seven deadly sins do you consider to be the worst in your opinion?
Do you resemble any of the seven dwarfs? If so, which dwarf do you most resemble?
If you have chosen questions from this category you will have had a better understanding of what your date likes to do in his or her free time. You will no doubt be able to determine if there is any compatibility between the two of you based on the answers given. Now let’s see what this oddball question really is all about by moving on to some other questions.
Here are some offbeat questions to help you break the ice
Is there anything you would do if you were invisible?
• Who do you think would be the best actor to portray you in a movie about your life?
Is it true that you snore?
Do you think you would survive the Hunger Games if you were to participate in them?
Do you have a favorite cheese that you would like to share with us?
• As a child, did you like climbing trees when you were a kid?
• Which character from Star Wars is your favorite?
• What would the last meal you would eat if you were on death row?
• Has it ever happened to you that your keys got locked in your car?
Do you think there is life on other planets? Do you think there is life on other planets?
• Is there a possibility that UFO’s exist?
Is the death penalty something you agree with or disagree with?
Would you consider yourself to be a believer in ghosts?
• If you were told that you had only 6 months to live, how would you spend those remaining six months?
• Do you have a big fear? What is it?
• When you wake up, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
Is it your habit to obey the speed limit when you drive?
• Is it better to prune a tree or leave it to its own devices?
Are you used to rehearsing what you were going to say before making a phone call?
Are you interested in dancing in a hot club or in a private setting under the stars?
Which piece of fruit would you like to be if you had to be one?
• In what way would you like to be remembered?
Would you say you are a hoarder, or are you a throwaway kind of person?
Can you tell me whether or not you believe in the existence of life after death?
Do you think about your past lovers from time to time?
Do you have recurring dreams? If so, what type of dreams do you have?
Have you ever had a strange dream? If so, what was it?
• Do you have any past experience with incarceration?
• Do you think that you have ever had a near death experience?
How would you describe the texture of the peanut butter – chunky or smooth?
In your opinion, what is the strangest question that someone else has asked you tonight?
Which type of bird would you be if you were to be a bird?
I would like to know your thoughts on cannibalism. How do you feel about it? How do you feel about it?
Would you abduct anyone on the planet if you were an alien and had the power to do so?
What would you do if you were stuck on a desert island with anyone? Who would you choose to be with?
Do you remember the last time you had a one-night stand?
Would you like to tell me about something that you have dreamed of doing for a long time? What has stopped you from doing it?
• If you could see into the future, what would be the first thing you would want to find out?
• Have you ever heard someone say that you look like a famous person?
If you were cremated, where would you like to scatter your ashes if you were cremated?
• What do you want to be written on your tombstone?
• What type of jelly bean would you be if you were a jelly bean?
Would you like to have a secret super power that no one knows about?