“How are you?”, “What are you up to?”, “How was your weekend?”. Many of us cannot get beyond these questions, even though we want to get to know someone much better. But how can we do it? How can we approach the person or people we would like to be well acquainted with? Nowadays, it is even more difficult to get to know someone, as we very often hide behind a phone or a computer screen. We do not communicate as we used to and, as a consequence, we are more secluded and less connected than ever.
To come to your aid, we created some questions. We believe that they are good ideas to have an in-depth conversation and not just meaningless small talk.
Basic questions to get to know someone
Here are some good, basic questions that you cannot go wrong with.
A piece of advice; when you ask someone questions, allow them to answer without interrupting. You want to get to know them, not have a monologue.
Do you want to figure out ways of getting to know someone? Search no more and read below these basic questions.
- Do you have many friends?
- Where are you originally from?
- What did you study? Would you have studied something else?
- Do you like music?
- Are you a people’s person?
- How do you envisage your ideal partner?
- Do you want to be a parent at some point in your life?
- Do you like to travel?
- Do you do sports regularly?
- What’s the most annoying thing on a first date?
- What do you do to keep the romance alive?
- Would you ever be tempted to cheat on your partner?
- Do you believe in fate?
- What does love look like to you?
- Do you think that money buys happiness?
- If you were to settle down somewhere else, where would and go and why?
- What is home to you?
- What are you most grateful for?
- Who is your personal hero, who do you look up to?
- What motivates you to achieve success?
- What is the purpose of life in your opinion?
- What is the issue that most weighs on your mind? If you could solve one problem for humanity, what problem would you choose?
- You can change one thing about yourself. What is it?
- If you could resurrect anyone, who would it be and why?
- If you could live forever, what would you do the most?
- How would you like to be remembered by?
- What would you never joke about?
- You have one week to live. How would you live it?
- Are you a spiritual or a religious person?
- The world would be a better place, if …?
- Do you judge a book by its cover?
- What is your biggest fear?
- Are people intrinsically good or bad?
- Which is more important? Love or money?
- What is beauty?
- What is your bucket list?
- What do you think that everyone should do at least once in life?
- What is the luckiest thing that happened to you?
- What gets you out of bed every day?
- What is the most difficult thing about raising children?
- Do you believe in second chances?
- What do you value most?
- What do you feel most proud of?
- Are you attached to things? If you could only keep 3 possessions, what would they be?
- Why did you choose the profession you have?
- What is your strongest personal quality?
- How do your best friends describe you?
- Who inspires you? Who do you resonate the best with?
- You have a fight with someone, and you are right. Do you insist on it or do you leave it to defuse the situation?
- Have you ever been depressed?
- Are you an optimistic or a pessimistic person?
- If you were not financially dependent on it, what profession would you do?
- Have you ever been in jail?
- Do you tend to follow your reason or your heart?
- Have you had a close encounter with death?
- What’s the experience that made you the person you are today?
Simple questions to get to know someone
Keep it simple and avoid subjects that could be conflictual. Less is more, so ask simple questions, so that the other person could be at ease with you.
Hey, you, the one who would like to know more about a person. Want some points on how to have a nice conversation? Just read below:
- What is the last book you read?
- What is your favorite season and why?
- What music genre do you like the most? Do you enjoy going to concerts?
- Do you have a pet? If not, would you like to? What animal and why?
- Do you like surprises or do you prefer being in control?
- Have you got siblings? If yes, how many? Do you see each other often?
- Which newspapers do you prefer to read?
- What makes you laugh?
- What makes you very angry?
- Do you prefer tea or coffee?
- Do you like to listen to classical music?
- What are you good at?
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
- What is your favorite sport?
- Do you prefer red or white wine?
- What is the most exotic place you have visited?
- Which one would you have: a lot of good friends or one best friend?
- What is your favorite part of the day?
- How would you spend a billion dollars?
- What are your hobbies?
- What is your favorite beverage?
- Who are your favorite actor and actress?
- What is Power in your opinion?
- What’s the best advice you received from your parents?
- What do you regret not doing?
- Do you prefer spending New Year’s Eve with family or friends?
- What is your signature meal?
- What is the most boring thing in the world to you?
- Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
- Did you ever use a dating application?
- Do you like to read?
- Approximately how many countries have you visited? What’re your top 3 favorite countries to be in and why?
- What does your morning routine look like?
- What inspires you the most about the city you live in?
- Have you ever felt you were alone?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite car model?
- Do you like to watch sports?
- Have you ever done bungee jumping?
- Do you enjoy watching documentaries?
- What do you like to shop for?
- Can you tell jokes?
- Do you like to play board games?
- Do you go out often?
- What do you do when you want to de-stress?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- Do you think that long distance relationship can work?
- In your opinion, what is the best invention?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- Do you have a driving license? If yes, do you enjoy driving?
- What is the best present that you have ever received?
- What TV show would you recommend to me?
- What’s your favorite love song?
- What is your favorite quote?
- What is the thing that you bought with your first salary?
- What is your favorite food?
- If you were reincarnated in an animal, what would it be?
- What do you miss the most about being a child?
- What’s the most recent thing you learned to do?
Interesting questions to get to know someone
What are the most interesting questions that you can ask the person you want to know better? That’s easy. We have them below.
Many people feel stressed before starting a one-to-one conversation, especially if you are trying to impress a man or a woman.
We are all very different individuals, with their own hates, loves, and dreams. If that’s a given, how on Earth can we learn how to talk to the persons we’re interested in?
We’ve rounded up some engaging questions that will help you find out more about the person you lay your eyes on.
- What is the website that you navigate the most and why?
- What is the only activity or thing that you never get tired of doing?
- Are you a morning or a night person?
- Do you believe in paranormal activities?
- Do you have a hidden talent? If yes, what is it?
- What is the most spontaneous thing that you have ever done?
- If you could go back at any time in your life, where would you go and why?
- Do you believe in reincarnation?
- If you were an emoticon, what would it be and why?
- What did life teach you?
- What is the best thing that happened to you this year?
- What did you want to become when you were a child?
- Are you the type that likes to live in a rural area, a big city or in a cabin in the mountains?
- If you had 1 million dollars, what would you do with the money? (provided you do not have it… sigh)
- What are you really bad at?
- What TV series character would you like to be your spouse?
- What is the place you feel the best?
- What is your life philosophy? What do you believe in?
- What’s your best memory from childhood?
- What is the one thing you cannot live without?
- Say a movie that you hate, but everyone else loves.
- If you could, what subject would you teach at school?
- How would your life be, if you did not have a cell phone?
- What is the skill that you’d like to improve at yourself?
- Do you like to be in the spotlight?
- If your life was a title, what would it be?
- What advice would you give to the teenager that you once were?
- If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- What do you regret most in life?
- When you’re feeling down, what do you do in order to feel better?
- Which historical event would you have liked to be present at and why?
- Which book is your all-time favourite and why?
- Which character traits are important to you in other people?
- How have you changed throughout your life?
- Is there something that makes you different from the other people?
- What would you change in the world, if you could?
- What is the compliment that you receive the most?
- What worries you most?
- What was your first job and for how long? Did you like it?
- When did you cry last?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years from now?
- Do you believe in God?
- What is your favorite band?
- Is there something you have dreamt of doing, and you haven’t so far?
Interview questions to get to know someone
Very good interview questions to get to know someone
We came up with what we believe are some of the best questions to ask the candidates you’re considering to employ.
See more ideas of questions for interviews. You are on the right page, and these questions will help you sift through applicants until you have found the right one.
- What are the key characteristics that make up an effective employer?
- How would you describe yourself and what do you think that the people who know you would say of you?
- What goals did you achieve at the company you previously worked at? What were the goals and how were they set? How did you compare with your other colleague in terms of professional achievement?
- Why are you applying to this position?
- Could you give us an example of a successfully completed task? What did you do exactly?
- Can you give a concrete example on how you approached a new customer? How did you do it?
- Will you please describe a typical working day at your previous employer?
- What attributes should managers have in order for you to be able to learn from them?
- How would you define success?
- What fundamental values should all major companies have?
- Can you name three adjectives that describe you best?
- What compensation do you aim for?
- How do you feel when you are speaking to a client and you have to present a project in front of many people?
- What would you say about your learning style? Do you catch up quickly or do you need more time to learn something?
- What is, in your opinion, the best way to create a strong relationship with a client?
- How do you handle a situation, when the client’s demands are very high?
- Sales. Is it art or science?
- Do you remember an actual case when you dealt with a very difficult client? What did you do, so that you won’t compromise the contract?
- Can you show us a sample pitch of a service or product that you sold at your previous company?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Who is the smartest person that you know personally and what makes this person so smart?
- If you had a $ 100, 000 financial capital to start your own business, what would you do?
- What was the most important work-related decision that you had to take last year? Why was the decision so important?
- What surprised you the most in this interview?
- Why did you leave your previous position?
- What is your weakness?
- Can you explain a complicated concept in 5 minutes?
- What do you know about our company’s activity?
- How long do you see yourself working for us?
- What motivates your more: salary or job duties?
- Are you able to work under pressure?
- What did you happen to learn from your past mistakes?
- How do you take criticism?
- Why should we hire you? What have you got that the other candidate do not?
- Which of your previous jobs did you like the most and why?
- What were the most important duties at your last job?
- In your career, which situation has influenced you professionally the most?
- Do you have additional qualifications?
- How do you organize your working day?
- Which products do you think the future belongs to and why?
- What would you do to ensure that the employees fully identify with the company?
- What do you do to colleagues who want to undermine your position?
- What importance do prestige, recognition, and success have to you?
Funny questions to ask to get to know someone
Laughing is a good de-stress factor, and it gives a general sense of well-being. With the questions below, we are aiming for you to break the ice with some funny conversation topics.
Find out information about the person you’re interested in with these funny questions.
- Until what age did you believe in Santa Claus?
- Have you thought much about choosing your outfit today?
- Have you ever had a soundtrack as your ringtone?
- Do you like your first name?
- How many hours do you need to be well rested?
- Have you recycled a present that you received? If yes, what was it?
- What do you think a butterfly feels when they are in love?
- Have you fallen asleep at the cinema?
- Have you ever dropped your phone in the toilet?
- Do you hold your nose when you jump in the water?
- Would you be embarrassed if someone saw all the photos on your phone?
- What’s your favorite joke?
- Are you ticklish? If yes, where?
- A study has concluded that almost all women are bisexual. What do you say about it?
- If you lost a bet, would you eat 10 fried crickets?
- If 3 animals were the size of a blue whale, which ones would be the scariest?
- What’s the most useless kitchen gadget? Why?
- Would you rather be the most beautiful person on Earth or a genius for a day?
- Are you superstitious?
- What is the worst pickup line that you were approached with?
- What is the most annoying sound in the world?
- What strange food combination do you like a lot?
- What is the funniest book that you have read so far?
- How do you like to make fun of your friends? What jokes do you pull?
- Do you believe the theory that says that we live in a computer simulation?
- Just like some houses have signs with Bad Dog if you were a warning sign, what would it be?
- What’s the silliest way that you have injured yourself?
- If one animal could understand everything you say and could reply, who would you like to speak to and why?
- If you could steal 3 things without being caught, what would you take?
- Imagine that you stumbled upon a time machine. Yes, just like that. What period of time would you go to and why? Would you come back?
- For a generous amount of money, would you run naked on the streets?
- If you could name a chocolate bar, what would it be?
- Would you give up on all your friends for the rest of your life, if you received 1 million dollars?
- If you were a waiter, would you spit on the plate of a customer you do not like?
- If you could live to be 90 years old and had the possibility to keep either the body or the spirit of yourself at the age of 20, what would you choose?
- If you could, how would you manipulate someone you dislike?
- If you could wake up the next day with a new skill, which one would it be?
Open-ended questions to get to know someone
Open-ended questions are questions that require to be answered in detail. Sometimes, in order to get to know someone, we have to find out as much as possible about the person you are taking an interest in.
In this last part of the article, we are presenting some of the best questions with an open end that you can ask your interlocutor.
- If you could travel in time, would you go to the future or the past? Only one option is possible.
- What do you make of the world we live in?
- What are in your opinion the important things in life? What do you put value on?
- What would you do to make the world a better place?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- If I had met you five years ago, would you have been the same person that you are today?
- What did you today?
- Can you tell me about your relationship with your family?
- What are the first things that you notice about someone you just met?
- What would you say to someone who wronged you?
- If you could relive the past year, what would you do differently?
- How do friends describe you?
- What things are you passionate about?
- What was it like to grow up in your house? What are your best memories?
- Why did you decide to choose that major?
- If you could have all the people in the world listen to you, what would you tell them?
- What teacher had the biggest influence on your life? How?
- What do you think are the good things about being single?
- Have you traveled much? If yes, what are the most interesting and exciting things you have experienced and seen?
- What are some of your future plans?
- When you were a child, what did you think it was best at being an adult?
- What do you think of long distance relationships?
- If you could obtain a doctorate right now in any discipline, including all the knowledge and experience that goes with it, what would it be and why?
- Can you name some of the happiest moments of your life?
- What is something that interests you, that most people would not guess?
- What does a perfect morning look like to you?
- Are you more of the indoor type of person or outdoor? Why?
- What do you think of non-monogamy?
- Why did your last relationship end?
Getting to know someone is not an easy task and these questions offer you a simple way to dig deeper, in a safe way. Be natural. The good questions are those that create emotional connectivity. The way to strengthen bonds is not to make the other person become defensive or feel as if they are being questioned in a negative way. People respond only if they feel that the other person is truly listening to them. An apparently simple question can easily lead to a meaningful and profound conversation and that’s exactly what you want. Before determining whether you dislike someone or not, you should definitely try to know them.
Being positive, polite, friendly and open to the person you would like to meet, can draw them to you. Gradually increasing the interaction with the person that you want to know, shows respect and interest.
The basic rule in getting to know new people is to ask emotional questions if possible. In general, positive questions are better than bad ones, because they tend to bring out positive emotions. But of course, it always depends on the situation.
Building a relationship requires time. If you’re patient and listen, you will ultimately get to know the person.