I’m often asked by managers and others what it takes to be successful in business and how to move to the next level. They will often imply that they do a good job, but feel frustrated by the lack of forward progress.
Doing a good job doesn’t ensure you of anything except you get to keep doing a good job…until someone else comes along who can do it better and then you may be looking for another job that you can do a good job at. It takes more than doing a good job to get you noticed and to the next level.
21 Tips For You:
- Come early.
- Stay late.
- Come to work to work.
- Stay busy.
- Seek information and education.
- Understand you are owed nothing.
- Do more than you are asked.
- Be tenacious.
- Steal someone’s ball and run with it.
- Force the passion. You may not be in the perfect job or perfect place. It’s up to you to make it the perfect job at the perfect place.
- If you do these things, someone will notice.
- If you get noticed, you have a ladder to the top.
- If you don’t get noticed or this isn’t the place for you, then you are developing some skills that will eventually get you noticed.
- Do it at the next place and the next place until you get noticed.
- Be so good that you can’t be denied.
- Pull others up and you will go up with them.
- Set an example for others.
- Get up, walk around, be nice.
- Be enthusiastic, even on your worst day.
- Dress up to the next level. Don’t dress like the rest.
- Your answer to the question, “How are you doing?” should be “I’m living an amazing life.”